Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2007-12-27 MRT in Singapore

Thursday, December 27, 2007
MRT in Singapore
Okay....so its been a long time since I took the train here and this time around coming home. Its been great!
There is no invasion of skin or bumping of contacts or the domination neccessity of form....guess I have been in Beijing too long. Despite over-crowding every where as seen in big cities, I realise the I had to get use to being bumped into and the after-look of given vacant expression of `this is the way it is in life'. Strangely though, I have forgotten how good it feels to have my little space respected. This is one of the beautiful things of being here in Singapore. This unspoken respect of the individual person and vice-versa.
People actually give up their seats! Even for those not crippled, `dying', fragile-looking but just someone older. An older person will be given a younger person's seat, it is a rule of thumb, once again unspoken and understood. It is, to me, beautiful.
It is the little things that makes me proud to be Singaporean. It is the little things that makes us what we are. I am happy to say that I grew up here, I am happy to have become a part of this culture. I am leaving for Shanghai tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment